Bowel incontinence is the loss of bowel control, causing you to pass stool unexpectedly. This can range from occasional leaking a small amount of stool and passing gas, to not being able to control bowel movements. Bowel incontinence is considered heavy leakage because it involves more than urine.
If you experience bowel incontinence, don't be afraid to talk to your healthcare provider. He or she has heard it all before so you don't have to feel uncomfortable, and you'll be able to get on the right treatment plan which will improve your quality of life.
See your doctor if you develop fecal incontinence, especially if it's frequent or severe, or if it causes emotional distress. Often, people are reluctant to tell their doctors about fecal incontinence. But treatments are available, and the sooner you're evaluated, the sooner you may find some relief from your symptoms.
Common causes of bowel incontinence include:
- rectal prolapse
- scarred or stiffened rectum due to surgery, radiation treatment or bowel disease
- muscle or nerve damage
- nerve damage may be associated with aging or with giving birth
There are some simple treatment options for your condition. As always, you'll want to discuss these further with your healthcare provider to decide which feels right to start:
- Behavioral Changes
- Changes in Your Diet
- Protective Hygiene
Depending on the cause, it may be possible to prevent fecal incontinence. These actions may help:
- Reduce constipation. Increase your exercise, eat more high-fiber foods and drink plenty of fluids.
- Control diarrhea. Treating or eliminating the cause of the diarrhea, such as an intestinal infection, may help you avoid fecal incontinence.
- Avoid straining. Straining during bowel movements can eventually weaken anal sphincter muscles or damage nerves, possibly leading to fecal incontinence.
If you experience bowel incontinence, Rely Medical Supply has briefs/diapers and/or protective underwear/pullups to help you manage this condition. Call Rely Medical Supply today toll-free at 1-888-529-2308. Our phones are answered from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Central Standard Time. Our helpful and compassionate product experts are trained to help you select the right products for your personal needs. Call today and let one of our caring Product Experts help you select the right product to keep you clean, dry, and comfortable.