- Prostatitis—a painful inflammation of the prostate gland
- An enlarged prostate gland
- Injury, or damage to nerves or muscles from surgery
If you are experiencing incontinence, the first step you need to take is to see a doctor. Your doctor will give you a physical exam and review your medical history. He or she may ask about the symptoms you have experienced related to incontinence and what medicines you currently take. The doctor may ask if you have been sick recently or had surgery. There are a couple of tests that your doctor may also order to get more information about your condition:
- Urine and blood tests
- Tests that measure how well you empty your bladder
In addition, your doctor may ask you to keep a daily diary of when you urinate and when you leak urine. Your doctor may also refer you to a urologist, a doctor who specializes in urinary tract problems.
Products to Help You Deal with Incontinence
There are many products to help both men and women manage urinary incontinence. Some of the most common products include:
- Absorbent pads/liners are disposable and designed for both women and men. Adhesive strips hold them inside your underwear. They trap 8 or more ounces of urine and keep it away from your skin. They also block odor and can be easily changed throughout the day.
- Adult diapers/briefs have tape tab closures on the sides so they are adjustable and can be easily removed during diaper changes. They come in a range of colors as well as day and overnight versions.
- Disposable underwear (pull-up, pull-on style) come in lots of styles. Some look similar to elastic-banded underwear but are designed to be disposable.
- Protective underpads are disposable or reusable flat pads with an absorbent layer on one side and a moisture barrier on the other. They protect mattresses, chairs, or other furniture from urine leaks.
Need help selecting the right incontinence products for your needs? Call Rely Medical Supply today toll-free at 1-888-529-2308. Our phones are answered from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Central Standard Time. Our helpful and compassionate product experts are trained to help you select the right products for your personal needs.