For individuals who suffer from incontinence, maintaining good skin hygiene is essential to prevent skin breakdown, infection, and other related health issues. Cleaning the skin properly can help to remove any urine or fecal matter that may be present, reducing the risk of irritation and infection. However, it is important to clean the skin in a way that is gentle and effective, to avoid further irritation or damage. Here are some tips for cleaning the skin for people who suffer from incontinence:
- Use a mild, fragrance-free cleanser: Avoid using harsh soaps or cleansers that contain fragrances or other additives, as these can further irritate the skin. Instead, opt for a mild, fragrance-free cleanser that is designed for sensitive skin.
- Use warm water: Use warm water to clean the skin, as hot water can strip the skin of its natural oils and cause further irritation. Avoid using cold water, as it may not effectively remove all traces of urine or fecal matter.
- Pat dry gently: After cleaning the skin, pat it dry gently with a soft towel. Avoid rubbing or scrubbing the skin, as this can cause further irritation.
- Use a barrier cream: Applying a barrier cream after cleaning the skin can help to protect against moisture and further irritation. Look for a cream that is specifically designed for use on sensitive skin.
- Change incontinence products regularly: Make sure to change incontinence products regularly, as leaving them on for too long can cause skin irritation and infection. Be sure to clean the skin before applying a new product.
- Seek medical attention for any signs of infection: If you notice any signs of infection, such as redness, swelling, or discharge, seek medical attention immediately. Early treatment can help to prevent further complications.
- Practice good overall hygiene: In addition to cleaning the skin properly, it is important to practice good overall hygiene, such as washing your hands regularly and wearing clean clothes. This can help to reduce the risk of infection and promote overall skin health.
In conclusion, proper skin hygiene is essential for individuals who suffer from incontinence. By using a mild, fragrance-free cleanser, warm water, and gentle patting to dry the skin, individuals can effectively remove urine and fecal matter without causing further irritation. Additionally, using a barrier cream and changing incontinence products regularly can help to protect against moisture and infection. By following these tips and seeking medical attention for any signs of infection, individuals can help to maintain healthy skin and prevent further complications.
If you need high quality incontinence products and supplies to help you manage incontinence, the Product Experts at Rely Medical Supply can help! Please call, toll-free, at 1-888-529-2308. Our friendly and helpful representatives answer calls from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Central Standard Time. Each representative is trained to help you select the right products for your personal needs, to help you stay dry and comfortable.